Monday, 30 September 2013

concerning holly



“I am in fact a Hobbit, in all but size. I like gardens, trees, and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humor (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late (when possible). I do not travel much.”
- J. R. R. Tolkein.

Holly is a 21 year old art history student at the University of St Andrews, who finds it very strange to discuss herself in third person. She is hobbit-like in both stature and in appetite, though her collection of ornamental waistcoats is woefully lacking. She comes from a little pocket of the English countryside where people pronounce their R's with vigour, and where change comes slowly (if it comes at all). This blog is an exercise is recreating the spirit of The Shire in a small kitchen on the Scottish coast. It is an exercise is butter, double cream, and warm, homemade bread. This blog believes in a well stocked pantry & vegetables used the day you bought them. It believes in farmers markets & fruit and veg shops, but it will also concedes that clubcard points really are quite a good idea. It believes in eating what you hunger for & letting the weight fall where it may, for there will be no calorie counting here. It believes in cake. It believes in fruit. It believes in immediately thinking about your next meal once one is over, and it believes in knowing where your meat comes from. It believes in red wine. It believes in the fields and trees and rivers. It believes in leftovers, but it also believes in licking the plate clean. It believes in Sundays. It believes in wholewheat.

Mostly, this is a blog which honours the art of eating. Something that Holly is very, very good at indeed.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful description Holly. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will be following you on both blogs ;)
    http://twistedredladybug.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this blog, and your description is an automatic hook. I look forward to reading and seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely description! Me and my family always call ourselves Hobbits! We're all short in stature, live in the country and are definitely fans of eating! I look forward to browsing through your blog :) x
    Hannah-lyz from http://blog.pixieproduce.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a truly wonderful way to introduce yourself. I find myself relating to much of those Hobbit-like tendencies, except that i travel alot and i don't think hobbits are generally 5ft8. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Holly. I adore your blog already and I've only read the 'about' section. You reflect my philosophy perfectly which, I guess, means that I reflect more than a little bit of JRR and his hobbits. To me, food nourishes the body, the soul and the spirit. It's a driving passion, which often means that I am dreaming about my next meal during most parts of the work day. Oh, and elevenses? That's a common word in my vocabulary. Alongside luncheon, second breakfast, supper... :)
    Thanks for greeting me on my blog so that I could find yours. We are kindreds, you and I xxx

    ReplyDelete