Sunday, 17 November 2013

lemon drizzle cake



I won't lie to you guys. I burnt this cake. There is no recipe post here because a) I literally just followed this BBC Good Food recipe verbatim, and b) the aforementioned burning. Last week I went home for a few days because I had to attend an assessment centre for a marketing job at Brightsource, and so on Wedneasday - the day before the assessment centre - I decided to just chill out & bake a cake. But obviously, being at home, I totally forgot that we have a fan oven unlike my standard oven at uni so essentially blackened the entire top of the cake; but it was easily sorted out by slicing off the top and anyway, since it was only feeding my family (by which I of course mean me) it didn't matter too much. And this is a delicious lemon drizzle cake - perfectly moist, deliciously light, with the lovely crisp sugar topping which is integral to a decent drizzle. I can't recommend the recipe enough.

Baking was the perfect way to chill out before a 9-5 day of interviews, group tasks, creative projects & presentations. I absolutely adore cooking & generally think of myself as being far more adept at cooking than I am at baking, because I'm inherently messy and lazy and haphazard, so the specific and scientific nature of baking hasn't always appealed. But lately - and perhaps we have Bake Off to blame/thank here - I've really enjoyed the process of baking. Taking the time to apply that level of discipline to yourself, and to really concentrate on things like gram measurements and specific oven temperatures, with the success of a baked good often resting on a 1-2 minute interval of how long you cook it, really gets you out of your own head & into the kitchen in a way that cooking doesn't always. And also, I thoroughly enjoy the process of eating baked goods, obviously, so that helps.

Anyway, so it was a nice way to prepare myself mentally for a long and gruelling day - for which I was so nervous, and so on edge, & so keen, because it's basically my dreams job. And, well, I guess I did something right - because I got it!

And, as I have always suspected would be the cause of most happiness in my life, I have cake to thank.

20 comments:

  1. For some reason this really reminds me off the Holidays! Looks delicious as always!

    Angi@ cantbuymelovvve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE anything lemon flavoured. Is it weird that I was the only 8 year old who wanted lemon cake for their birthday?!?! I burn things all the time. I forget I put things in the oven and also forget timers...One day I'm going to burn the house down eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah good to know i'm not alone, thank davida!

      Delete
  3. What a great post, with the happy ending about landing the job! Congratulations - you do have cake to thank! haha
    No worries on burning the top either. Who's to know - if not for your honesty, I wouldn't have suspected. : )
    It's also so interesting what you said about cooking vs. baking. I might just be the reverse - I've been cooking and free-flying so much more in the last year. Here's to growth. And congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much monica! :) here's to growth indeed.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your job! I also love lemon flavored anything and that cake still looks scrumptious despite the burning. I'm like you--much more experienced and comfortable with cooking than baking but it's still fun to try every now and again.

    atelier zozo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't tell it's burnt. And who cares if it's at least somewhat delicious? Honestly though I'm most impressed by your photos - how do you make such a simple loaf look so beautiful?

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a shame that there is no recipe here. This cake does really look delightful. My trick for a burnt top: slice it off just as much as necessary and add a good amount of icing sugar on top. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can easily find the recipe on the bbc good food website, or just click the link up top :) thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations!! So great when everything goes to plan :-) Love lemon drizzle cake so will have to give this one a go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lemon cakes are such lovely treats, especially with a mug of hot tea! Haha I'm sorry you burnt this, but at least it still looks and tastes good, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well it definitely tasted good, haha! thanks caroline :)

      Delete
  9. The cake doesn't look burnt! It looks delicious. I'm a fan of lemon desserts :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, lemon drizzle cake has to be one of my favourites!

    xx Carina

    ReplyDelete