Monday, 11 November 2013

mushrooms on toast



Probably the weirdest thing about being in your final year of uni is the knowledge that, in a few months time, you could feasibly never see some of your friends again. Probably the worst thing about being in your final year of uni is that you're all too busy with deadlines and exams and job applications to truly appreciate the time you do have together. But then, maybe the best thing about being in your final year of uni is that it makes the times you do spend together all the more special - even if it's just grabbing a cup of god awful coffee in the library between studying, briefly stopping to say hello on the street before class, or making a hasty, simple, delicious dinner together before chatting the night away. I'm lucky enough to have made a number of really great friends here, and to have lived with most of them too, so last night my good friend Jillian - who I lived with last year, and who I miss, a lot, this year - came over to cook dinner with me, which is obviously one of my very favourite things to do with people I care about.

We met in Tesco to buy ingredients, though neither of us could really decide what we fancied. Having eaten a giant dirty diner meal of burger, chips & a milkshake for lunch I was in the mood for something pretty light & relatively healthy, and Jillian's like, the queen of spinach & other healthy foods, so we ended up settling for fancy mushrooms on toast. Super simple, cheap, easy & delicious - the perfect thing to cook together & to shovel into your face in the brief respites between chatting. This really is ridiculously easy whilst still being wholesome & delicious, & I've eaten it for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the past 24 hours. The key is to get yourself some nice, fancy bread - I've gone for brown walnut bread, but sourdough would be lovely here as well - and not scrimp on the ingredients, since there are so few. It shouldn't cost you more than £5, is ready in ten minutes, and is the perfect food to share with friends. But then, I suppose that's true of most food.

To feed 2, you will need:

  • A few handfuls of chestnut mushrooms.
  • A few handfuls of baby spinach.
  • Two cloves of garlic.
  • A tablespoon of olive oil.
  • Smoked cheese - applewood, gouda, etc.
  • 4 slices of bread. 
  • Salt & pepper.



1. Preheat the grill to a high heat.

2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over a medium-high heat for a minute or so, then peel & chop your garlic and add it in to the pan. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, until it starts to change colour.

3. Chop your mushrooms, then add them into the pan as well. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5-10 minutes, depending on how you like the texture of your mushrooms. I don't really like mine too well done, so about 5 minutes is perfect for me.

4. Meanwhile, place your 4 slices of bread underneath the grill until one side has toasted.



5. Add in the spinach to the mushrooms & cook together for about 1-2 minutes, until the spinach has wilted down.

6. Take the pan off the heat & remove the bread from beneath the grill.

7. Pile some of the mushroom/spinach mixture on to the untoasted sides of your bread, and top with a handful of smoked cheese - as grated by your glamorous assistant.

8. Place back underneath the grill & toast until the cheese is completely melted.

Comforting, filling, cheap & delicious. Enjoy.

22 comments:

  1. Lovely recipe! I know what you mean about uni, I'm plenty of years past it now but my closest friends are people I met there and I couldn't be without them. Don't worry - the best ones will stick around :-) Love mushrooms - there nothing more comforting than proper good mushrooms on toast! Never tried it with spinach though, will have give that a go! Bet tasted amazing with the walnut bread

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time I can eat of meal of melted cheese and toast, I will be a happy lady! This looks like the perfect food to enjoy with a friend. Quick to prepare, so you can enjoy each other's company but still have a delicious meal. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great - I was in a tapas restaurant on Saturday night and one of the dishes was mushrooms on toast. It was soooo yummy, this looks like the idea recipe to try a homemade version. I graduated almost 10 years ago now but three of my closest friends are ones I made at university - I agree with Black Cat, the good ones do stick around. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this -- quick, easy, healthy! Mushrooms are my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so nice to have good friends and even better if you can cook together. This looks totally scrumptious - the kind of simple delicious food I'd like to have anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. I've got to make myself some of this soon. Got to!

    Aimee @ WallflowerGirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awh, I'm dreading this time next year, but at least you guys are making the best of it! This looks so yummy - it's funny how obsessed with mushrooms I've become in the past couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too caroline, i used to hate them but now i put them on anything & everything!

      Delete
  8. I definitely don't see my friends from university nearly as much as I used to when we were in school but we definitely make note to really value the time we do have together. Cooking meals together is a great way to spend time. Now to convince my friends that cooking is as much fun as eating out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mushrooms. Covered in cheese- double love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, you;ve got a queen and king quality breakfast supper....
    superb and healty toast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cooking dinner with friends...although I can be a bit bossy in the kitchen =/ These toasts look great! I could totally eat these for dinner or they would even make a great appetizer. I <3 mushrooms :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. AHHHH this is just TO much for me to take haha:) sooooo yummyyy looking and I will make them today.

    Have a fab weekend dear:)

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - Swedish decor, food, and fashion

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a perfect dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Love the simplicity and how delicious it is.

    ReplyDelete