Tuesday, 26 November 2013

prawn & vegetable curry



Soz for the unannounced hiatus you guys - as has been the theme with my past few posts, I've been horrendously busy. On top of that, some pretty rubbish stuff has been happening in my personal life & it's just made the thought of doing anything other than staying in bed all day totally unbearable. That said, yesterday I managed to open the curtains before 2pm - so, progress!

This curry is very simple and very cheap, but is packed full of turmeric, garam masala, ginger & paprika, so it's anything but boring. It can be frozen pretty easily, making it the ideal meal if you know you've got a busy few days coming up & will need to grab lunch in a hurry, and it also just so happens to be super duper healthy as well. Two tins of chopped tomatoes and an onion along with a red pepper & packet of sugarsnap peas means this packs a serious punch on the 5 a day front, and the king prawns ensure you get your daily dose of protein in there as well, without none of the fat. Low fat yoghurt on top is not just recommended - it is imperative, adding a delicious tangy flavour into your curry. I've been making this for about a year now and I love it - it's one of those recipes I've never got bored of. I adapted the recipe from everyone's favourite Londoner, and all credit must go to Rosie.

I actually made this curry about a week ago, so I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to get around to posting it. I'm also really sorry for being so lax about responding to comments & keeping up with my bloglovin feed - I miss you guys a lot, and seriously appreciate your support. I can't wait to get back into the Hobbit Kitchen soon.

To make enough for 2 without rice, or 3-4 with, you will need:

  • About 300g raw king prawns.
  • 2 tins of chopped tomatoes.
  • 1 onion.
  • 2 cloves of garlic.
  • 1 small piece of ginger, about the size of your thumb.
  • 4 teaspoons of turmeric.
  • 2 teaspoons of garam masala.
  • 2 teaspoons of paprika.
  • 2 tablespoons of light muscovado sugar.
  • Salt & pepper.
  • Low fat greek yoghurt.
  • A few glugs of olive oil.


1. Heat a few glugs of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.

2. Peel & chop your onion, peel & chop your garlic, chop & deseed your red pepper. Once the oil is heated, throw all of this into the pan and stir together for about 3-4 minutes, until the onion is starting to change colour a little.



3. Peel the ginger piece & grate it finely, then add into the pan with your spices. Stir together for a few moments, until you have a fragrant curry paste.

4. Tip in your two cans of chopped tomatoes, followed by two tablespoons of light muscovado sugar, and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes.



5. Add in your sugarsnap peas, and cook for a further 10 minutes.

6. Finally add in your raw king prawns and cook until they become completely white in colour. Don't cook them for too much longer though or they'll begin to shrink.

7. Place into serving bowls and top with a generous spoonful of low fat greek yoghurt.

See? Easy! Serve with naan bread & rice to bulk this up and make it a more substantial meal, or just eat as it is if you're feeling more virtuous. I'm hoping to be back to posting regularly soon - sorry for being so useless, you guys.

10 comments:

  1. Oh no, I hope everything's alright, Holly! I bet getting back into the kitchen will make you feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you've been having a less-than-totally-awesome time - sometimes it helps me to make cookies (and then eat them all). Anyways, I hope things start looking up soon... it's good to know you're still eating well though!

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that's exactly what i did, thanks isa! :)

      Delete
  3. I hope everything is okay Holly! Thinking of you. This dish looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everything is well with you soon! I'm sending lots of positive vibes and hugs your way!
    Don't worry about the blog. When you feel that it's time to come back, we'll all be here waiting for you!
    And this curry looks so yummy, oh gosh, I need it! ;=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you consuelo, i appreciate that very much :)

      Delete
  5. This looks great - I love both curry and prawns so it is a winning combo for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete