Tuesday, 17 December 2013

12 days of christmas: gingersnap biscuits



There is, in the blogosphere of late, a bit of a preference towards soft, chewy biscuits. Melt in your mouth, crumbly little morsels of deliciousness... Mmm. I'm a big fan of the soft biscuit trend. However, these biscuits are not that, and I'm a pretty big fan of them too. They're traditional ginger biscuits (fittingly enough borrowed from this recipe entitled "Grandma's Ginger Biscuits"), and they snap and crunch just like the ones you had when you were little & left out for Santa Claus on December 24th. I hear they're his favourites, you know. That said, they still melt in your mouth! The secret to keeping these super traditional biscuits exciting is the cinnamon & cream cheese dip that I paired them with, and which I heartily recommend... The recipe will be coming tomorrow!

But having said that, there's nothing wrong with enjoying these biscuits alongside a tall glass of milk or a warm mug of tea. They're jam packed full of warming spice, incredibly easy to make & use very few ingredients - so if you're looking for an easy home made gift to give, or a way to spend time with little ones that doesn't involve TV, I've got you sorted. Thank me on December the 25th, yeah? I'll take Louboutins, please. Size 4.


To make about 25 biscuits, you will need:

  • 110g unsalted butter.
  • 1 egg.
  • 225g self raising flour.
  • 225g granulated sugar.
  • Half a teaspoon of baking powder.
  • 1 teaspoon of ground ginger.



1. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C.

2. Begin by melting the butter over a low-medium heat. Once fully melted, remove from heat and beat in the egg.



3. In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.

4. Add the egg and butter mixture into the dry mix, and mix together thoroughly with your hands until it forms a crumbly sort of dough. This is the part where little ones can get involved!



5. With your hands, take handfuls of the dough and roll into small balls - roughly about 2cm across.

6. Place them well apart on a tray lined with baking paper, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they're a golden brown in colour.
7. Leave to cool thoroughly.

Only 8 sleeps left!

3 comments:

  1. These would be great with a cup of steaming hot tea. Perfect right now as I look out at the snow coming down. I favor the soft, chewy, gooey cookies most of the time but I also love crisp and super crunchy ones like biscotti. Time and place for it all. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, to me biscuits are the thin, airy and crunchy not-too-sweet cookies that come in tins or little boxes. And cookies are the soft chewy gooey deal. I used to only be loyal to the latter... but after living in Paris I have come to love cookies and treats of all forms - especially crunchy snappy ones just like these that you can have with tea or coffee. I'd take a couple right now, actually.

    PS My host mom came home today with a Louboutin bag and box and I just about melted... if only I could have her closet, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a ginger biscuit! In my family, we make these chewy molasses raisin cookies that are my favorite...but I think these might be better for dipping in tea :)

    ReplyDelete