Tuesday, 4 November 2014

apple & blackberry crumble



I work in marketing now, which is not a thing that I've ever told you guys before, and so tonight I went to a talk on social media marketing. Lots of people swearing to show how chill they are, people in jeans and suit jackets, etc - all very trendy, very cool, very soshul medya. The whole point of it (I think) was that the best thing about social media is how timely it is, and how if you really wanna excel at social media marketing you've got to really engage with things as they happen. There's no point joining in with an ice bucket challenge once it's over, after all.

This post, sadly, is a demonstration of the exact opposite. Blackberry season is, as I'm sure you're aware, pretty much over by now - September seems to be the month for them these days, and September is the month that I picked these blackberries and cooked them into this crumble. I've had the photos sitting on my flickr account for many weeks now, so I can only apologise for not sharing this sooner, but better late than never right? And this is way too good to waste. Plus - some of you may have been very intelligent souls and actually frozen your blackberries (something my Nan always tells me to do and which I always forget), or you might be even more intelligent and have worked out that you can totally just buy them in shops. Which I heartily encourage you to do, because a good blackberry and apple crumble is a thing of classic beauty - in blackberry season and beyond.



Ingredients.
  • 2-3 Bramley apples.
  • Approx 250g fresh blackberries. If frozen, defrost before cooking.
  • 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
  • 170g plain flour.
  • 75g butter.
  • 75g demarara sugar.
Method.
  • Preheat the oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4.
  • Peel and core your apples, then chop into bitesize chunks. 
  • Place into a medium sized pie dish along with the blackberries. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of sugar on the top, then mix it all together with your hands.
  • For the crumble, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Don't rub it too fine though or you'll miss out on that lovely crumbly crunch.
  • Add in the sugar and mix it all together. Sprinkle evenly across the apple & blackberry mix.
  • Bake for around 30-45 minutes, until the apple & blackberry mixture is a gooey bubbly pink, and the crumble is lightly golden.

This is actually the fourth crumble recipe I've posted to this blog, and that's because I just never ever get tired of them. Cheap, easy, timeless and endlessly versatile - a good crumble recipe is something you just cannot get through the autumn without. Cream non-negotiable.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, we're huge fans of crumbles, too! And apple and blackberry sounds like a terrific combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly, I love a good crumble and this looks delicious!! Great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often have my recipes sitting around waiting for posting so the seasons are always wrong! I loathe people who swear just for the sake of it. Have a super weekend Holly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I love the combination of apples + blackberries. And, even though it's not blackberry season, it is apple season, so it's all good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice combination of apples and blackberries for this! Looks delicious. It would be hard to wait for it to cool to dig in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Better late than never! And this is terrific -- I love a good crumble. Super recipe -- thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete